By Lynda Ellis, Capitol Concierge
Environmental stewardship and sustainability are essential elements of Capitol Concierge’s culture and our vision for the company’s future. We understand that we have a direct impact on the well-being of our society and ecology. Join us in the race to make the world a better place by taking proactive steps to improve your environmentally friendly processes.
Here are some simple ways to get you started:
- Shop at your local farmer’s market
- Support local restaurants that use food —delivery less than 100 miles away, and learn more about the benefits of eating locally
- Repurpose items such as egg cartons for paint wells, seed starters, treasure boxes, or a myriad of other crafts
- Ditch the paper cups and plates—instead of using paper cups for your morning coffee, switch to coffee mugs, that can be washed and reused—same goes for plates
- Subscribe to eco-friendly blogs for tips and ideas
- Donate to and shop at thrift stores such as GreenDrop and the Salvation Army. You’ll be recycling usable items and supporting your local economy!
- Stop idling in your car—idling for more than 10 seconds wastes more gas than is needed for a startup
- Consider purchasing an energy-efficient vehicle
- Inflate your tires—tires with more air improves gas mileage on your car
- Telecommute when possible
- Utilize the abundance of public transportation
- Instead of making the drive into work or flying to that meeting, complete your work electronically and send it in, or set up a video conference
- Sign up for Green Energy—more than half of all electricity consumers in the U.S. now have the option of purchasing green power from their utility.
- Install solar panels to reduce the cost of your energy and help the environment
- Switch one home appliance to an energy efficient model, just look for the “energy star” label
- Cover all your hot water pipes from your heaters with ‘water heating jackets’
- Lower your thermostat—for every degree you lower the thermostat you’ll save between 1 and 3% of your heating bill!
- Replace your water heater—new tankless water heaters significantly lower the energy burden
- Decorate your home and office with live plants if you want the air to be extra clean
- Plant a tree—it’s good for the air, can keep you cool, and can increase your property value
- Water the lawn or garden during the coolest part of the day (early morning is best), and water plants differently according to what they need — check with your local extension service or nurseries for advice
Stay committed to the changes you make — going green is only possible if everyone contributes!